What are the symptoms of a strain?
Commonly, we associate a strain with a pull off a muscle, often in the lower back or the thigh. But strains can happen to any muscle or tissue that is attached to bone.
You might have a strain if you have symptoms like:
- spasming of the muscle
In a severe strain, the ligaments might tear or detach from the bone and you will definitely need urgent care and pain relief.
Furthermore, a strain is different from a sprain.
When to get urgent care for strains
Are you experiencing increasing pain or discomfort? Come to Urgent Care to get your strain assessed. Furthermore, we can refer you to a physiotherapist if necessary. Luckily, we have the wonderful East Care Physiotherapy onsite at our Botany Road health hub in Howick.
Come to see us if you have:
- severe pain
- loss of normal body function
- difficulty moving your neck
- increasing lower back pain
- chronic pain
First aid treatment for a strain
The golden rule for strains first aid is to follow the R.I.C.E approach:
- Rest: Following any strain, stop and rest while you assess the severity.
- Ice: quickly placing an ice pack on the area you have strained will help reduce inflammation and bruising. Use the ice pack for 15 minutes every 2 hours during the first 24 hours. Keeping a gel ice pack in the freezer is an important part of every home First Aid Kit.
- Compression: Use a bandage to compress the strain. Alternatively, if you have a compression bandage in your first aid kit try putting this on a strained limb. A good addition to your first aid kit is a Tubigrip. It is a great idea for sports teams to have a roll of this in their first aid kit, as strains are common.
- Elevation: keep your strained limb elevated and try to rest for 24 hours.
Complementary onsite services
At our Botany Road premises, we offer a number of onsite services including a Pharmacy and Radiology to ensure your visit to the Centre is as stress free as possible.
Health care professionals providing advance care plans
Frequently asked questions
To join our clinic, you first need to fill out the patient enrolment forms to register with the PHO that we belong to. This is a Ministry of Health requirement. You will need to provide proof of identity and eligibility which may include the following forms of identification:
- NZ Passport or NZ birth certificate
- International passport with resident visa OR work visa of minimum 24-month duration
On the enrolment form you need to indicate which of our doctors (currently taking new patients) that you would like to be registered with.
Yes. As part of completing your enrollment, we request that you have a new patient screening appointment with one of our Nursing or Medical Centre Assistant team members.
This new patient appointment enables our team to work with you to better understand your current health and wellbeing.
Following the new patient appointment as above, you can book your first consultation with your nominated doctor.
The length of your first appointment with your new doctor will be as follows:
* Note: if you have a chronic condition, please make a booking for 30 minutes.
Payment is required at the time of consultation
You will get full access to the patient portal “My Indici” once you have completed your screening appointment.
Payment is required at time of consultation. Please note that unpaid accounts will incur an additional $10 monthly administration cost.
There may be additional costs for treatments/tests/materials
We recommend that you book your future appointments via your patient portal My Indici.
If you need an urgent appointment, then please phone the clinic. We have doctors available to discuss your urgent health needs on the day.
All consultations are by appointment only.
14-17 years $14
18+ years $16
Urgent prescription $27.50
We are open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm.
For health services after hours visit East Care Accident & Medical, 260 Botany Road, Golflands, Auckland 2013. Their phone is 09 277 1516.
These are consultation prices only.
Under 14 Years - Free 14 - 17 years - $14 18 years & over - $16
Note charge is the same for in person or by phone or video as you are still receiving the same high quality health provider assessment, diagnosis and planning.